Thursday, February 2, 2012

Still here. 16 more weeks!


Yes, I'm still here. Out on my tiny island. Why haven't I written anything in such a long time you ask? Or maybe you don't ask, but I'll answer anyways. I've been so incredibly, overwhelmingly, and monstrously busy!!! This quarter started and BAM: Ms. Kellar was BACK and there was a stack of papers to grade taller than Sokehs rock.

Hawaii was indescribable. I fell in love with Kauai! What a beautiful island. I was spoiled beyond belief by being able to walk across the street to safeway, starbucks, and eat fresh swiss cheese!! I got to change dozens of diapers and kiss booboos and little foreheads. Auntie Kelsey mashed up veggies and pealed oranges with glee. I was able to talk to my brother. It's silly but even typing that brought tiny tears to my eyes. He's my best friend. You don't get to pick your siblings but I got one of the best. There's no one else in the world that has my same parents, grew up in the same home, with the same experiences. Hundreds of mornings spent eating breakfast, reading with mom, and watching star trek. I would bet a lot of money on the fact that there's no one else in the world who has made me cry more- haha! From whiny little girl tears all the way to big girl homesick tears. My brother also gave me the best gift ever - a beautiful, kind, loving sister in law who is a strong Godly women and mother to my two baby nephews. I am blessed. Blessed with two amazing parents who know how much I love my brother and his family, and gave me the opportunity to spend time with them this Christmas. I am giddy with anticipation of next Christmas - the entire clan all reunited!!

Leaving Kauai was immensely painful. But I never had any desires or thoughts about not returning to Pohnpei. I know that I'm supposed to be here. Just last night we had our Wednesday prayer meeting, and as I was praying I felt compelled to thank God for His gift of extra strength. Honestly, for the past 2-3 weeks I've felt like there was a strong wind behind my back pushing me along. Yes, I've been tired. But I have enjoyed each day, and keep trying to find new, creative ways of teaching my students. I dressed up like the Pope for World History (a funny story indeed!), I created a new gold-mining town in California with my US History students, and my Geography class engaged in peace negotiations between Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan. I know I'm not the most amazing teacher, and there's still so much more I could be doing, but I feel this sudden responsibility. Not the kind of responsibility that makes you feel tired, heavy, or burdened. No! Responsibility that makes me feel kind of empowered, and excited. My students are learning SO much! Sometimes I forget how little they knew at the beginning of the year. Now they know about Muhammad, DaVinci, John Adams, Christopher Columbus, The geography of USA, Canada, South America, Europe, Russia and I could go on and on and on!

Our expectations are so funny. I never came here thinking what would get me most excited was to see my kids learn and start to understand the "USSR and how it affected the politics/geography of Eurasia" or other random things. But it does excite me!! To see them struggle, complain, procrastinate, but slowly (sometimes very slowly) figure things out and learn!! God put me here in Pohnpei for lots of reasons. I think one of them is that He knows my weird (others call is "lame, nerdy, etc.") excitement and joy about learning and teaching this stuff. I just keep praying each day that I'm not only teaching them but showing them love in how I teach. It' s a day-by-day adventure here on Pohnpei! It really is a constant roller coaster of emotions.

I love you family! I love you friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment