Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Reflecting back


Almost 9 weeks ago. I think I'll always remember that moment when I had to say goodbye to my mom and dad, and kept waving in the security line for as long as I could. It was such a hard thing to do. It's ironic that I was entering "security" - because it felt more like I was leaving everything secure and safe in my life.

"Behold I am with you and will keep you wherever you go"

"Sing to the Lord a new song, and his praise from the ends of the earth"



I'm at the 20% mark, almost 1/4 the way done with my journey here. I know it's weird to count down like that but it helps me stay in the right perspective. I'm reading a book written by Worsley on Shackleton's journey in Antarctica, and right before (spoiler alert!) they are forced to abandon their ship due to ice, Worsley says this:


"Remembering this in that dim cold twilight, surrounded by a world of snow and ice, I silently breathed a prayer of thankfulness that I had gone to Burlington Street that morning so long ago (the place where he met Shackleton), for whatever befell, I was living a great adventure, working side by side with a great man"

Worlsey was with Shackleton throughout his most dangerous and treacherous adventures, even up until Shackleton's death. He never regretted adventuring, or taking such great risks with his friend. He knew he was in the company of a great man, no matter what happened he was thankful.

I want to have that attitude in my life. I get to go on amazing adventures all around the world with my friend, the great and almighty God, and He is holding my hand through it all. No matter what happens, I won't regret my decision to follow Him, or to go where He has called me. Because I am just happy to be on a wild and crazy adventure with my friend. Even if my ship falls apart and leaves me stranded on the ice. Or, in this case, falls apart due to fungus and mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment