Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Week 10



Snorkeling for treasures at Palikir Pass (read about it here)


Sunday some of us went out to Kitti Waterfall (pronounced: Kitchie) It is a beautiful waterfall, but the cost is a very, very muddy hike. Ankle deep in mud for about 1 mile after a bumpy drive in the truck that felt more like the disney Indiana Jones ride. Once we got there though we got a spectacular award: a beautiful pool of water with a 35+ foot waterfall on one end. Right next to waterfall was a spot perfect for jumping off into the deep deep water below.

Watch my jump

Several of the SM's were brave enough to jump, some of them being totally freaked out and others brave enough to do flips! I wasn't scared, but knew I was in for something crazy. I've never jumped off anything that high - it's so awesome!



Then on MONDAY everything was "back to normal"...we thought. After staff meeting it started to pour. Of course, that's not anything spectacular. It rains pretty much every day here, and by rain I mean a total downpour. But that usually only lasts for a little while and then the skies clear up. This rain, however, definitely did not clear up. Before I could even grab my stuff from the office I was ankle deep in water. The water was flooding into the workroom, gushing off of the steps, and even caused EELS to swim away from the gutter and run around the parking lot. The biology teacher attempted to catch the eel for dissection. Kids screaming, rain pouring, everyone running around trying to protect/save things from water damage. Some of us worked out back trying to clear the drainage system because it was clogged with so many branches. It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience. They say there hasn't been a storm like that for several years. (Picture: I am standing on the PNI SDA sign, while everyone runs around trying to get the eel)

Click to watch the flood!



Kelsey H and I attempting to dodge the flood.

Other than those crazy string of events...everything is pretty normal here in Pohnpei. Today I gave out a test on Ancient Greek society, and also managed to start the Revolutionary War. Every student in my geography class presented a map they had designed illustrating the various climate types in America, and next week they will have memorized all the states and capitals. All in all, a pretty normal week. I am getting SO anxious for every new thing. The next hike, the next snorkeling, the next camping trip! I also am constantly counting down to Christmas. My trip to Kauai - such a blessing to know that in 11 weeks I get to see my brother, sister in law, and two nephews!








Kelsey H. captured this snapshot.
Sometimes this is what happens on my 40 minutes break.








Also: Thank you Grandma and Grandpa! Today I got your package. I love every single thing and cannot wait to devour it all :) It means SO much to me!!! All my love, Kelsey.

1 comment:

  1. Quite the rain fall. When I was there in 95-96 I remember it raining for 3 days straight but even then I don't remember there being quite that much water. Looks like it took 16 years but the school now has their second Kellsie/Kelsey

    ReplyDelete