Friday, November 18, 2011

My Kids




I want you to meet some of my favorite people in Pohnpei. One class at a time...because I have lots of students :)


This is my first class, world history. I have three sections of world history. On a normal day I crawl out of bed around 7am, and sometimes manage to take a shower before quickly grabbing something to eat and going to staff worship. Sometimes I don't make it to staff worship. .. It's always nice though, we sing a few songs and us teachers take turn giving a little talk or devotional for the day. Then we have announcements and go our separate ways. On Mondays we have flag-raising. We all gather around the flag and sing the Micronesian anthem (read about it- it's very interesting). Then after singing the song, which always starts off to high no one can sing it, we do the Micronesian pledge. Guess what! You all know this already. Give you a hint...it starts off..."I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the (Federated States of Micronesia), and to the republic.... etc." My kids in US History didn't even know that it's really our National anthem, haha. I always sneak in "United States of America" under my breath. Don't want to be traitorous or anything. After all this I head off to my classroom.


Meet my first class. In this picture you can see Latrisha and Bill up front, Then Risa and Abraham, Darney and Jayme in the back. On the left there's Jade and Yuta.

Risa and Latrisha are my smarty pants girls. They study together, compete for the best grades. I always get nervous grading their work, because I know they religiously scan every mistake and compare each others papers :) They are so sweet and always "seem" interested in everything I say, haha. I'm very proud of them. Jade is so funny. He's the kind of student who walks in talking about how he never studies, never does any of the work...but he secretly studies and completes every assignment on time. But I won't reveal his secret! Bill is such a class clown too. He always tells me riddles, gives me puzzles to solve, makes me laugh every day. I love these guys. They tolerate long history lectures at 8 in the morning! They never (almost never) fall asleep! They're the ones who get my devotional talk in the morning. Last Thursday Jade got up and asked me if he could read the devotional. At first he was joking but I convinced him to go ahead and do it! Jade was suspended last week for the usual pohnpei offense...(beetle nut!) but he's such a nice kid. He read this short devotional about resisting temptation, and then asked if he could give prayer. He always gives such nice short sweet prayers. Jade is a special kid.






No comments:

Post a Comment