Tuesday, November 29, 2011

masamawhu



I never knew how big the sky was. Yes, I've been to Montana. But you haven't seen anything like Ant. Standing at the edge of the island. With a wrap around view of the ocean, and a sky with nothing blocking it's horizon. On and on and on and on and .... Every two seconds the entire sky changed colors. It was almost like an emotional roller coaster. Saturday night we had a closing vespers put on my all the boys. It was kind of impromptu (boys are experts at this) but watching them all standing in front of the sun, each minute getting darker and darker silhouettes. Beauty. Masamawhu. Masamawhu. It's the kind of thing you want to take 1,000 pictures and videos of, record the image in your mind. But you can't. I don't think you're meant to! I wish I saw that kind of beauty every day. I know I do, but I'm not aware of it. I'm too distracted.

What a weekend. Sleeping in my hammock like a baby. Savagely going to the bathroom in the jungle (ha). Swimming in the salty water for hours and hours with Danielle like I was 10 years old again in my Grandma's pool. Singing songs for church on the beach with Nicki. Forgetting most of the words. The guys making traps like the Swiss-Family Robinson for all the SMs who were unfortunate enough to fall for the camouflage. Walking on the beach by myself in the morning. Cutting coconuts and drinking them for a morning snack with Zach. Feeling like the moon couldn't get bigger if it wanted too.

I'm going to stop talking about it. I can't describe it to you. I'll stop trying. I had a crappy day. But that's a good thing. When I have a crappy day I always end up in a good mood. I force myself. Today I had parents get upset at me for things I can't control. Student's getting kicked out of school. Teacher's getting sick. Hurt. Everyone getting discouraged. But I'm sitting in our Christmas decorated (as much as we could manage) apartment, listening to my roommates babble about random things. Making cookies. Bickering. Normal stuff on a weekday :) Life is good. Thinking about Ant makes me feel better too.


No comments:

Post a Comment